We are a leading centre for the undergraduate teaching of English Language and Literature in Turkey, and home to a thriving, close-knit community of researchers. We look forward to welcoming you to Bilkent.
- Asst. Prof. Valerie Kennedy's study of 'Orientalism in the Victorian Era' was published in the The Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature (Oxford University Press) in August 2017.
- Asst. Prof. Ayşe Çelikkol's essay, 'Globalization and Economics,' was published in the Oxford Handbook of Victorian Literary Culture (Oxford University Press) in late 2016.
- Asst. Prof. Valerie Kennedy's essay 'Istanbul' was published in The Palgrave Handbook of Literature and the City (Palgrave Macmillan) earlier in the summer of 2017.
- The Arabic translation of Asst. Prof. Valerie Kennedy's Edward Said: A Critical Introduction was published by the National Center for Translation in 2017.
- The Journal of the Northern Renaissance (edited by Asst. Prof. Patrick Hart) published a special Autumn 2017 issue on 'Early Modern Voices'.
Members of the department have recently published books and articles on topics as diverse as contemporary fictions of multiculturalism, our spatial engagement with poetry, nineteenth-century literature and free trade, Charles Dickens and savagery, and children's literature. Below is a selection of a few of the department's most significant recent monographs:
- Heather Yeung, Spatial Engagement with Poetry (Palgrave, 2015)
- Ayşe Çelikkol, Romances of Free Trade: British Literature, Laissez-Faire, and the Global Nineteenth Century (Oxford University Press, 2011)
- Valerie Kennedy, Edward Said: A Critical Introduction (Polity, 2000)